Saturday, January 7, 2017

#KiliTeam2017: Margot

The oldest person on record to have climbed Mount Kilimanjaro is 85-year-old great-grandmother, Anne Lorimore, who completed this personal challenge in August of 2015.

“I’ve wanted to do it for a long time,” said Anne, who resides in Paradise Valley, Arizona. “My niece and nephew were doing it, and I said, ‘Please, I want to go,’ and they said yes. So I put it down on my bucket list that by 2015, I was climbing Kilimanjaro.”

While our next climber will certainly not break the record for oldest individual to summit Kili, it will certainly be a huge accomplishment for her, given that she has never before climbed a mountain. Please meet Margot Byers!


"I am a landscape designer and horticulturist living in Beaver Valley with my husband of 30 years, Rick Byers, our dog Stella and cat Abby.  We have three sons in their 20s, with two living in Toronto and one in Kingston at Queen's University.  Before moving to Beaver Valley, we lived in Oakville for 20 years and Ottawa for 4 years.  My interests are plants, gardening, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, travelling, golfing, photography (not professional at all), cooking (and eating) and making maple syrup!

I have not climbed mountains before but am interested in Kilimanjaro because of the different plant zones we will be hiking through and the unique plants we will see. I am also looking forward to the safari that Rick and I will be doing after climbing Mount Kili."

To support Margot's fundraising efforts, please visit her Canada Helps page.

No comments:

Post a Comment